04 December 2009

Racing Ramblings

Miscellaneous stuff that has come to mind while reading recent racing headlines:

  • Earnhardt Jr. Voted Most Popular Driver Again. It almost baffles my mind that a driver who has not accomplished much and finished 25th in points as his teammates finishd 1, 2, and 3 wins the popularity contest. I realize that popularity has nothing to do with results but I don't have to understand it.
  • Jimmy Johnson to race in the 24 Hours of Daytona with Gainsco again. I'm happy to see this. I have to admit that Johnson is not one of my favorite drivers but you can't deny his skills in a racing car. I would love to see him in an ALMS GT or Prototype car to see what he could do some serious high tech equipment.
  • British Touring Car Championship and the Australian V8 Supercars will be shown on Speed TV this winter! I love the touring cars and the V8 Supercars. Watch the V8 Supercars and learn where Marcos Ambrose came from; those guys make NASCAR look like a bunch of wimps when it comes to wheel to wheel racing; they make racing a Full Contact Sport.
  • The DTM and Japanese Super GT series could race together in the future. Now this is interesting. Exciting racing in both series with some interesing machines; I'd love to see that if it could get on US TV.
  • Andretti Autosport. Andretti Autosport has hired Tom Anderson as VP of Racing Operations. Anderson was running the Fernandez team in ALMS before they closed down and has a stellar history in American Open Wheel Racing. This could be the shot in the arm that Andretti's team needs. Also, Ryan Hunter Reay is in the running for a seat at Andretti Autosport. They need to hire him pronto; I think he would do a good job in proper equipment and he brings solid sponsorship from Izod. He's also one of the more high profile American open wheel racers.

Mac McCormick III

No comments:

Post a Comment