21 December 2009

GPS Navigation Device

I've enjoyed using the Google Map App for Blackberry so much that I finally decided to put a GPS Navigtation Device in the car. I stumbled across a Garmin Nuvi 255W on sale at Sam's Club last week and picked it up. I used it over the last few days, even using it to navigate from Brunswick to home here in Savannah.

I'm not very experienced with these units, but it seems to be a fairly simple and straightforward device. It is easy to program and simple to read. I also like that it disables most of the menus while you are driving, thus eliminating some distraction to driving. It has day and night display modes; the background goes dark at night to protect night vision. I noticed a few discrepancies, particularly in areas where there has been construction. One area that stands out is the Golden Isles Parkway/Cate Rd. area in Glynn County. I downloaded an updated map (free of charge when registering the unit online) today that seems to have fixed a lot, but until I get back out on the road it will be hard to tell.

Mac McCormick III

No comments:

Post a Comment