21 January 2009

American LeMans Series 2009?

I admit to being worried about the American LeMans Series for 2009. For the past few seasons it has been my favorite racing series. The diversity in cars, powerplants, and technology has led to great racing.

Audi has pulled out of the P1 category, which will return P1 to where it has been the last few years. In 2009, the only difference is that it will be an all Acura show instead of an all Audi show. I was so looking forward to an Audi v. Acura race in P1 this year. I'll be disappointed to not see those mighty turbo diesels (with the exception of Sebring and LeMans). P1 is quickly looking to be like GT1 has been; will P1 end up dying the death that GT1 has? I hope not.

Porsche will be gone from P2 and it seems like Acura's concentration will be in P1. P2 had become a very interesting category in the last few seasons, are we looking at the decline of the category that was on an upswing?

It looks more and more that the ALMS is becoming a "GT-centric" series. I like the GT cars but I enjoy the multiple classes in one race even more. I love the big, honking P1 cars and their immense power. I love the P2 cars with their compromise of power and agility. I read the other day on Autosport that Audi has sold some R10s to Colin Kolles and that he will be running them in Europe. Let's hope that Audi will sell some R10s to an American Team (Champion...) and we'll see some running here! I fear that it's hoping against hope, but I can dream.

Mac McCormick III
kf4lmt@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment