13 November 2008

Over the next few weeks, month, or however long it takes me to do it, I'll try to do a stream of conciousness review of the 2008 racing season from my perspective. I'll more or less blog it as it comes to me, so don't expect regular postings on it...

Performance of the Year
Without a doubt, the Performance of the Year was Alan McNish in the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta. It was the best drive I've seen this year and perhaps the best drive I've ever seen. McNish spotted the field 2 laps at the start and willed his car not only to the lead lap but to the lead of the race in the last 2 hours of the race. Looking on, you could tell he was not to be denied. Christian Klien, in a faster car, simply had nothing for McNish at the end.

Most Improved Driver
This season's Most Improved Driver would have to be Felipe Massa. Sure he had a slow start to the season and his drive at the British GP at Silverstone had to be embarassing but on the whole, his season showed massive improvement over previous ones. He clearly outperformed his teammate, World Champion Kimi Raikonnen and came within a single point of the World Championship this season. If you were to have told me this time last year that Massa would have been a title contender right to the end, much less the way it actually turned out I would have called you mad. Massa exhibited not only improved skills this year but a higher confidence level. That higher confidence is what I think bumped him up a notch.

Mac McCormick
kf4lmt@comcast.net

1 comment:

  1. Massa has improved a lot; but he has taken his time to do so; he was unfortunate to miss the championship but Lewis deserved it more

    ReplyDelete