29 September 2008

The Passing of a Legend: Paul Newman, 1925-2008

I am not a great movie fan, so unlike many others I knew of Paul Newman more for his motor sport accomplishments than his acting accomplishments. Many knew of Newman as an actor who raced, but I preferred to think of him as a racer who also acted. His accomplishments are detailed much better than I ever could in other forums, but I first remember Paul Newman racing the red, white, and blue Datsuns. I remember him winning his class at the 24 Hours of Daytona at 70 years old! I remember his great success as team co-owner with Carl Haas at Newman-Haas Racing. Paul Newman will truly be missed by motor sport fans.

Paul Newman will be missed even more by terminally ill children. Through his Newman's Own brand and through his "Hole in the Wall Camps," Newman was beyond generous to terminally ill children. Beyond his actions, he also inspired others such as Kyle Petty and Tony Stewart to do the same. Undoubtedly, this is what Paul Newman should be remembered for, not his accomplishments as an actor and not his accomplishments as a racer.

Paul Newman was one of my heroes. A private man, he was successful, determined, philanthropic, and principled.

Mac
kf4lmt@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment