22 April 2009

Miss California and Perez Hilton, Intolerance in Entertainment

I wouldn't know Perez Hilton from a hole in the ground.  I wouldn't know Miss California from a hole in the ground.  I don't follow Hollywood and entertainment gossip and I don't follow the various pageants so I don't know a thing about either except for what I've seen on the news over the last couple of days.  What I do know is this:  The entertainment industry has shown itself to be no different from the "conservatives" and Republicans they so often paint as being intolerant. 

During the Miss USA Pageant, Miss California was asked a question about gay marriage, which she answered according to her beliefs (that she was opposed to it).  It matters not whether I agree with her nor does it matter if the judges and the audience agreed with her; it is her right to have that opinion.  Following the pageant, she was blasted by Mr. Hilton (it was he who asked the question, by the way) for her answer, going so far as to refer to her as a bitch on his website and further implied calling her worse.

Some have been upset that Miss California's answer cost her a win in the pageant.  That to me, is not the issue at hand here; the pageant is a private affair and if the judges and those in charge wanted to penalize her for her beliefs, that is their prerogative.  What disturbs me is that there is outrage over what she said and very little to no outrage over Mr. Hilton's response.   He criticizes her for being intolerant of homosexuals but his behaviour towards her is just as intolerant.  He wants her to be respectful of his way of life (homosexual), yet he is disrespectful towards her way of life (conservative).  If the entertainment industry were truly serious about preaching tolerance, there would be just as much outrage over Mr. Hilton's insulting comments as there has been over Miss California's honest answer.

Mac McCormick III
kf4lmt@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment